Welcome to The Sassy Penguin

Thank you for checking out my blog! Be sure to visit frequently for new and exciting posts!

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on Pinterest


Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Woody days

I am beyond horrible at thinking of post titles. Is anyone else like this? I struggle to find good ones, funny ones, striking ones, memorable ones.  Nope. I got nothin'.  They all come out so BLAH to me.

I've also had writers block- I haven't been overly crafty lately and I don't want to bore everyone with all wedding talk, even if my sisters wedding is in 9 days! *squeal*
Oh, but you can bet your... um...you can just bet there will be a pic heavy post after the wedding :)

What I have been doing, however, is making some wooden signs.   I've shown some photos of my THEN sign that I made for my sister.  I also made Mr. Fiance Penguin and I one with our wedding date on it.

The apartment reeks of polycrylic, acrylic paints, wood and spray paint.  *giggle*
It actually isn't that bad, but most of my painting has been done inside, sans the spray paint. This New Jersey weather lately is for the ducks.

A lot of my signs are on reclaimed wood.  Pallets for days on Craigslist, my dad can get them from work, pallets pallets everywhere.  They are perfect for this sort of thing.
The pallets I'm using currently were going to thrown out at the firehouse.  I saved you, little pallets!




Here in NJ there are some awesome flea markets.  Columbus Flea Market is a great one that I only get to maybe once or twice a year.  I happened to go with a friend a few weekends ago and she found these great pieces of wood complete with hardware attached! She was yelling across a few tables at me while I was looking at piece of furniture I envisioned a great re-do on.  Excitedly, I scurried over and scooped some up.
 I opted not to use the hardware and I bought some jute instead.  Thanks for the great find Andie!

Too bad I don't have a washer and dryer in my apartment to hang these near.


 Love these next two.  Too bad I don't ride either.



I don't have any beachy themed props in my house but the cowboy boot works just fine in my opinion. :)



I'm excited to share what the future holds for some of these signs.

My next thing I want to try, other than making more signs is a coffee filter wreath. That seems pretty easy. (Now that I said that, I'm going to have a hellava time with it, right?)

What have you been working on?

Linking up to:
Domestically Speaking, Power of Paint Party
Savy Southern Style- Wow Us Wednesdays
Vintage Wanna Bee: Talent Tuesdays 
Treasure Hunt Thursday FMFPTY 
Hookin Up with HOH 
52 Mantels: Thursdays are YOUR days 
Embracing Change: Creative Inspirations 
An Original Belle: Make-It-Yourself Monday 
Debbiedoos- Newbie Linky Party

10 comments:

  1. When our weather is bad I usually don't feel much like crafting either. Your signs are so fun and the cowboy boot looks awesome with the beach sign! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Signs! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :D I'm now following you on FB. {HUGS} threemangoseeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love theses signs Becca!!! I'm now following you on FB and Pinterest (already on GFC!) Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    xo, Barbara @Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great little signs! Thanx for coming to THT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the coffee filter wreaths! The signs looks great! I want to make some with some old pallets!!

    Visiting from the newbie party!
    dginnovations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the signs! make me a wreath too, I've never made one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becca, Your signs are superb! LOVE the 'Life is Better at the Barn'! Hope you have a wonderful night!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete