Welcome to The Sassy Penguin

Thank you for checking out my blog! Be sure to visit frequently for new and exciting posts!

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on Pinterest


Monday, March 12, 2012

All you need is...

What a great weekend! The weather was b-e-a-utiful, got some good finds on Craigslist, shared a lot of great laughs with my fiancé and finished the weekend with some zombies and The Walking Dead. Of course, that pesky daylight savings time just HAD to sneak itself in there somehow. I hate losing an hour of my day but I like LOVE that it stays lighter so much longer. When I realized it was 7:03pm last night, I looked outside and smiled. It just makes me happy.

My wood art I made yesterday also makes me happy!


Now, I'm my own worst critic and there are so many things I should have done differently, but hey, now I know for next time, right? This was my first attempt with limited resources.

What I used:

Silhouette SD
Black cardstock
White Acrylic Paint
Pink Acrylic Paint
an old wooden shelf (I had bought a box of these last year at a yard sale and I just took the "shelf" pieces off the bottom)
a foam brush


I painted 2 coats of the white on the wood first. It was so nice out, I painted on my balcony. (It dried quicker that way too. I'm impatient...not a good trait for a crafter.)

In the meantime, I cut out my words from my Silhouette onto black cardstock. I would have used vinyl but I don't have any. It IS on its way though. I would have used contact paper but I couldn't find the correct blade, so cardstock it is. (This works well for those who do not own a cutting machine. Cardstock and an Xacto knife will yield the same result!)



This is where I kinda goofed. The "inner" parts of the letters were missing! I had forgotten that is what happens when making a stencil. Silly me. I should have found double sided tape or something of the like. Instead I used glue. It worked great keeping the pieces down while I dabbed the paint on my newly made stencil however, removing them proved to be a problem. There is still some residue from the glue which you can see in the pictures, but it adds to the vintage feel of the sign. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)




Overall, I'm pretty proud for my first attempt. I cannot wait to try others!

How about you? Did you try anything new over the weekend?


This is my first time attempting to add something to a Linky Party. I read a lot about linky party etiquette last night and i hope it do it right!

This post is linked to:
DIY Show Off Project Parade

The Girl Creative





1 comment:

  1. This turned out great! I love it! Stopping by from The Creative Girl party.

    ReplyDelete