Welcome to The Sassy Penguin

Thank you for checking out my blog! Be sure to visit frequently for new and exciting posts!

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on Pinterest


Thursday, April 5, 2012

Rainy December Night

WHOA! Back up. I know what you are thinking. Rainy December Night...huh??

Apparently I started this post in December. DECEMBER! It's now April. I wonder why I never completed it. Better late than never right? Just imagine it's December still while reading it, the scent of pine and the dim glow of the lights on the Christmas tree...setting the mood... ok I'll stop. Here it is.

Don't ya just love rainy nights? Pop in a movie and craft away. At least that is what I have been doing tonight. First movie up was Elf. I admit, I watched more than I crafted. I've been doing most of my crafting at my coffee table in my living room. A one bedroom apartment = no special space for fun! (This leads to messy living room = cranky fiance. Good thing he is at the firehouse tonight!)

I've been working on two different crafts at once.

I will write about the first one now. I'm saving the second one for later. ::whispers:: It's special! *Side note...since this was in December, I'm not quite sure what the special craft was. If I had to guess, it was the photo pendant*

Starting a blog, I also realized I need a better camera. Until then, please bear with the low quality pictures, they still get their point across. *It's now April, and I still don't have a better camera. Ha!*

GEL MEDIUM CANVAS TRANSFER
*I KNOW I had taken pictures of the process, they are MIA at the moment- proabably stuck in time, back in DEC-EM-BER*

When I first saw this idea on Pinterest I knew I HAD to try it. It lead me to A Beautiful Mess, where I followed her instructions.


What you will need:

☼ A blank canvas. *I bought mine from Michaels. 8x10 (but you can use whatever size your heart desires.

☼ Gel Medium. I used the brand Omni Gel, also bought at Michaels.

☼ A paint brush

☼ A spray bottle full of water

☼ A laser/toner copy of your picture on regular white printer paper. (Most home printers are ink-jet, so feel free to get your photo printed at your local printing place)


Since I don't have pictures of the process, I'll show my final products.
I'm missing pictures of the very first one I did, which ironically is my favorite. I gave it to my fiances mom for Christmas.

This one I dry brushed some black around the edges and gave a top coat of the gel medium. The gel medium gave it a shiny, textured finish. This lil' guy is currently in my kitchen by the stove. He needs something to keep his hiney warm.


These next two, I didn't do much with. They are hanging in our bedroom between the closets. I am unsure if I want to do anything else with them, since they are a lighter color than the bare hiney kid, I think a black border would take away from it.



You can see that it isn't a direct transfer. While rubbing off the paper, the image may peel too. In these cases, the image peeled a lot. I have to tinker with the amount of gel medium I use next time...maybe that is the culprit.



Either way, I love how these come out and I cannot wait to try different sizes.

Linking up to some of these parties here.

8 comments:

  1. Those are very neat. Thanks for sharing it with the newbie party. Enjoy, and get out there and make some new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project and hope to see more of your posts. I'll be looking for gel medium very soon! Whenever I do, it seems there are a lot of mediums out there and I'm not sure of which one. Thank you for saying exactly what type you used ~ Kitty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see it when you try it. :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Love the pic of the bare bottom baby. And the black edging really adds to the whole transfer effect. I think your're right about not adding black to the photos of you and your fiance. But my wheels starting spinning thinking of the different effects in photo editing. I wonder what a blurry white would look like? Or even how to create that effect?
    Thanks for inspiring.
    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I'll have to dig deep and if I come up with something, I'll give it a shot. If you try it, I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  4. Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing this project. I have several blank canvases lying around (I stocked up during Micheal's Black Friday sale). I will be definitely trying this one out in the near future. I found your cute blog through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party. Looking forward to following you and enjoying more of your creative projects!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment. :) I'm going to head over and check out your page as well.

      Delete
  5. You have such a cute blog....LOVE it! I'm now following you on GFC. I'd love for you to come and visit my blog sometime. Have a wonderful week! (I love your chalkboard frame also!) :D

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete