Welcome to The Sassy Penguin

Thank you for checking out my blog! Be sure to visit frequently for new and exciting posts!

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on Pinterest


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sassy Sashes

This weekend we just celebrated my sisters bachelorette party. I cannot believe the time flew so fast.
She was super excited to go out and have some fun with the girls. She works so much lately, she barely has any time for fun. What would a bachelorette party be without fun sashes?! At $7-$15 a pop, I refused to buy them for everyone. Sorry sis, but I'm cheap. haha.

I ran to Michaels and picked up 2 rolls of 2.5" ribbon. I was hoping to get them a bit thicker, but 2.5 is all they had so I had to make do.
I picked up some fabric glue and some fabric paints- printed my words off the computer, paired it with some carbon paper and we were ready to go.


Step one is to trace your letters over the carbon paper on your fabric which you can see in the picture above. It probably would have been easier if I taped everything down considering the carbon paper and the ribbon are so slippery, I was chasing them around the table while tracing. I figured the sashes would be garbage by the end of the night anyway so I wasn't too worried.

I outlined all of the sashes first. I just grabbed ribbon as I went, no specific color in mind.


Actually I lied. Back up a bit. Step one is to cut your pieces of ribbon. I have no photos of this, thank god. I probably looked like a buffoon. Did I use measuring tape? Of course not, I draped myself with the ribbon, twirled around, got knotted and finally figured out what length or around what length I needed. I cut the ribbon. Then I laid the cut piece of ribbon against the uncut ribbon on the roll and measured the rest of them that way. I cut the ribbon edge on an angle and stuck from fabric glue in between the edges. No professionalism here.

Ok, so now that ribbon is now a sash, glued and outlined- the fun part begins. DECORATING!

Rachel came over to help with this step.


I pulled out the rest of the color paints, some acrylic paint, rhinestones, paper flowers, glitter- anything I could get my hands on to turn these sashes to sassy.

In the end, Rachel decided the glitter would be too messy so she stuck with the paints, rhinestones and flowers.
I must say, I do like the way they came out. Simple yet bold.


Here we are, before heading out to the line dancing bar- donning the sashes. Everyone loved them!


We had a blast that night! The next day, not so much :)
The sashes held up well at the club and while riding the mechanical bull however by the end of the night, they were a big ball of wrinkle on the floor before everyone went to bed. I'm glad I didn't spend $7-$15 each on them. Besides, everyone loved the handmade-ness of them!

24 more days till they tie the knot! Eep!



Linking here: An Original Belle M-I-Y Monday, Vintage Wanna Bee Talent Tuesday, Romance on a Dime- Take it on Tuesday, Simply Klassic Sunday, Newlyweds on a Budget: Tutorial Tuesday

6 comments:

  1. How cute!!! I love the idea. Thanks for stopping by Becca :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful!! Love these handmade sashes - very sassy!! :)

    I'm so glad you linked up at Romance on a Dime this week! Hope you will be back to link up next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo cute! I love it- too bad I got married almost ten years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca,

    I LOVE it! Absolutely adorable and your sister is so lucky to have you! Your blog is so cute and fun! I had to smile :)

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out super cute! Sounds like you had a great time. :-)

    ReplyDelete